Rudy Crew is starting to earn his big bucks!!! Oregon needs outside-the-box thinking of its high school programs. Amen! I have been pushing unsuccessfully for paid high school years abroad programs and more online classes. And, as the clip from Lions for Lambs above illustrates, other ideas have been around for awhile. So “Go, Rudy, Go!”
From the Oregonian article “Rudy Crew: Use technology, out-of-school experiences and outside-the-box thinking to improve Oregon education” by Betsy Hammond (here):
Oregon's brick-and-mortar schools do an adequate or even exceptional job for about 60 percent of students, but for the other 40 percent, they simply don't work, Oregon Chief Education Officer Rudy Crew said Friday.
The fix, which will need to be shaped by Oregonians over time, will include instruction delivered via technology; learning outside school walls; credits earned by experiences instead of hours of classroom instruction; and learning time after school and during the summer, Crew said during an hour-long interview with The Oregonian.
On Jan. 31, when Oregon announced that the graduation rate for the class of 2012 was 68 percent, Crew said Oregon schools should change their "educational architecture" and up their use of technology to graduate far more.
Pressed to provide details, Crew made it clear Friday he does not yet have specific plans. He said he desperately wants Oregon education leaders to think outside the box about radically different approaches to education, not just better-funded versions of today's schools and classrooms……